The memorial, dating back to 1922, was originally cast in bronze and was commissioned to honour employees of the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway who fought during the First World War.
Originally the memorial had been simply set into a brick wall within the old station, but new designs saw it framed with flat contemporary cladding panels in keeping with the contemporary design of the new station. There were initial consultations with Grimshaw Architects to achieve the best metal finish match possible. It was important to retain the integrity of the original cast memorial and using a real bronze finish, Aged Bronze AM.7 ensured that. A real bronze finish reflects an aesthetic quality with a lasting beauty. It is also incredibly durable and with solid cast bronze develops a natural patina over time.
As the New London Bridge Station development saw a complete renovation of the old station, the memorial was initially removed. It was then re-located to the internal adjacent wall of the St Thomas street entrance to the station.
Picture courtesy of Costain Group